near the jetty with the BHP jetty on the
horizon at Ardrossan
Ardrossan (including Pine Point)
Interesting port and holiday destination on
the Yorke Peninsula.
Located 145 km northwest of Adelaide and 23 m
above sea level, Ardrossan is an interesting
port on the western side of Gulf St Vincent. It
is the largest of the ports on the Yorke
Peninsula with a substantial jetty and bulk
grain loading facility. While the town is a
popular holiday destination with good swimming
and fishing it is also a thriving port where
wheat and dolomite are exported.
Before European settlement the area was
inhabited by the Narungga Aborigines. The early
European settlers in the area lived in dugouts.
In about 1870 a town was surveyed. It was named
by Governor Fergusson after a sea port in
Ayrshire, Scotland. The opening of agricultural
land on the Yorke Peninsula saw the port develop
rapidly. It was against this development that
Clarence Smith invented the stumpjump plough
which was designed to 'jump' over rocks and the
roots of trees embedded in the soil. The town
jetty was built in 1877 and used a simple
tramway system to load vessels.
|The old wheat
trolleys on the jetty
The town later became the first port in South
Australia with bulk handling wheat facilities.
In 1952 the wheat silos, the largest grain
receival centre in Australia at the time, came
into existence. They now tower over the town.
Ardrossan is subject to great tidal
variations so that, when it is low tide, the
water can be anything up to 100 metres from the
Things to see:
Ardrossan & District Historical Museum
Located in Fifth Street this Museum is located
in the original Stumpjump Plough factory. It has
a very good display on the history of the
stumpjump plough and the usual collection of
folk memorabilia including tractors and farm
machinery. Open Sunday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30
p.m. as well as school and public holidays or by
appointment Tel: (08) 8837 3062.
headland at Ardrossan the stump jump
with the huge grain silos in the
The Stump Jump Plough
The stump jump plough, which is located in the
park beside East Terrace, is a tribute to
Clarence H. Smith who perfected and manufactured
stump jump ploughs at Ardrossan. The plough,
which was invented by Richard Smith, was
patented in 1877 and manufactured by the Smith
Brothers. At its peak it produced 14 ploughs per
Nearby is the lookout and the jetty which
still has the old wheat trolleys and the tram
track which was used to take wheat to the end of
the jetty to be loaded onto ships.
Mines - Dolomite and Salt
The BHP mine [they changed their name a couple
of years ago and are now known as One Steel)
located behind the BHP [One Steel] Lookout is a
dolomite mine and was opened in the mid-1970s.
Dolomite is used as a flux in the steel making
process. It is also used in the local area for
everything from concreting to road making and
BHP [One Steel} Lookout
Situated 2 km south of the town it offers superb
views. On one side it has views over the One
Steel dolomite mine. Over the other side it
offers great views across the Gulf St Vincent.
Located about 20 km south of Ardrossan the
Zanoni shipwreck (it was a sailing ship which
sank in 1867) has become a popular scuba diving
destination. You need approval to dive. Ask at
the Tourist Information Office in town.
Located 15 km south of Ardrossan this tiny
township is another holiday destination on the
Yorke Peninsula. It has a long sandy beach which
is ideal for walking, swimming and relaxing.