|The beach at
Stansbury 26 km east of Minlaton
Minlaton (including Brentwood and Port
Small rural service centre located on the
Located 197 km west of Adelaide and 88 m above
sea level, Minlaton is a service centre on the
Yorke Peninsula. Appropriately it is surrounded
by sheep and wheat farms. The town has a wide
main street with an interesting median strip
with lots of trees growing in it.
The town was originally named Gum Flat
because it is the only area of the southern
Yorke Peninsula where red gums grow naturally.
This name was changed to Minlaton which is
reputedly derived from the local Aboriginal word
'minlacowrie' which supposedly means 'sweet
The area was settled in the 1870s by farmers
who found the conditions ideal for the growing
of wheat and barley and the grazing of sheep.
Today this small township promotes itself as
'The Barley Capital of the World' which is a
fair indication that it is essentially a rural
service town providing facilities for the
surrounding farmers and those travellers who
make their way down the centre of the Yorke
Things to see:
A typical rural museum run by the National Trust
the Minlaton Museum contains blacksmith's
artefacts, domestic and rural memorabilia and
some interesting information about Captain Harry
Butler. Open Tuesday to Friday 1:30 p.m. to 4:40
p.m., Saturday morning on holiday weekends and
during craft shop opening hours - (08) 8853 2027
Captain Harry Butler Memorial
The major attraction in Minlaton is the the
Captain Harry Butler Memorial which has the
extraordinary Red Devil preserved inside.
Captain Harry Butler purchased this plane from
the British government and shipped it to South
Australia in 1919 and used it to carry airmail
from Adelaide to his home town of Minlaton on 6
August 1919. This was the first flight across
sea in the Southern Hemisphere by any plane. The
Red Devil was then flown by Captain Butler for
joy rides, barnstorming and peace loan
promotion. The plane was modified in 1931 and
fitted with 110 horsepower De Havilland Gypsy
engine. It was last flown in 1945. It is
believed that approximately 200 of these Bristol
monoplanes were manufactured and this plane is
the only one of this type in existence anywhere
in the world. It was designed by the British
government with great urgency in 1916 to meet
the pressing need for a fast, single seat
fighter aeroplane with the greatest possible
fire power. It has a speed of 209 km/hr or 130
m.p.h and was designed by Frank Barnwell for the
British and Colonial Aeroplane Company.
Harvest Corner Information & Craft
This operates as the town's information centre
and is located at 29 Main Street. It sells local
crafts and produce and operates as a tearoom.
Contact (08) 8853 2600 for opening times.
Jollys Vintage Tractor and Engine
Located on the main road to Maitland at the
northern edge of Minlaton this is an impressive
collection of old engines and agricultural
machinery. It is only open by appointment.
Contact (08) 8853 4306 for more details.
Located 16 km north west Port Rickaby is a quiet
holiday destination on the coast. It is ideal
for families with good swimming and fishing