vessels at low tide in the Brid River
Pleasant holiday destination on Anderson Bay
Located 91 km north east from Launceston via the
Tasman Highway, the attractive holiday town of
Bridport is situated at the southern end of
Anderson Bay. With a population of around 1000
(which expands dramatically in summer) it is in
an area noted for its excellent sea and river
fishing, its swimming and beach facilities, and
its holiday atmosphere.
The first European to travel through the area
was the surveyor Thomas Lewis who explored the
district in 1830. The first settlers moved in
the mid 1830s. These included Andrew and Janet
Anderson (they arrived in 1833), who gave their
name to Anderson Bay, and Peter Brewer (arrived
1835) who built the impressive 'Bowood'.
the old jetty at Bridport
Today Bridport mixes tourism with fishing.
Historically its tourism has been mainly
caravanners but more recently guest house,
holiday units and host farm accommodation have
broadened the appeal of the town. It is also the
centre of major scallop, trout (there is a
freshwater trout farm) and lobster industries.
Things to see:
'Bowood', a fine Georgian stone, brick and
pit-sawn timber dwelling, was built in 1838.
Located 12 km north of the town, it is the
oldest building in the district. It was built by
an ex-convict carpenter and an American
stonemason who had deserted from his sealing
ship. The house is not open to the public.
To the west of Bridport, surrounded by extensive
sand dunes, is the near-ghost village of
Waterhouse which had a brief moment of glory
when gold was discovered their in 1869. At the
time it boasted four hotels, a gold commissioner
and police station. Off the coast is Waterhouse
Island, complete with a lighthouse, which was
named by Bass and Flinders in 1798.