electricity schemes pipes leading down
to Tarraleah Power Station
Old hydro-electricity township in the centre
Located 114 km northwest of Hobart, Tarraleah is
a hydro-electricity township in the mountains
between Hobart and Queenstown which is notable
for its huge hydro-electric pipes which tumble
down the side of a valley near the chalet.
Tarraleah is a typical little construction
town with portable homes, prefabs and a chalet.
There is a Police Station as well as offices for
the Forestry Commission and the Department of
Fisheries in the town's small commercial centre.
It has a population of around 500, most of whom
work for the HEC.
The Tarraleah Chalet was designed and built
by the Tasmanian HEC in 1936-37 at a cost of £8
271. It was intended to be a showpiece for what
would otherwise have been a dull construction
Things to see:
The Hydro-Electricity Operation
The views of the hydro-electricity pipes as they
tumble down the hill are spectacular. Nearby is
a plate which provides information about the
pipes. 'The average length of the six steel
penstocks is 584 m. Their diameters vary from
1525 mm at the top to 1220 mm at the station
with plate thickness varying from 10-20 mm. Each
penstock is fitted with an hydraulically fitted
butterfly valve. These valves will close
automatically if the velocity in the penstock
reaches 30 per cent above the normal operating
velocity of 45 m per second.'
Outside the power station, which is located
at the base of the mountain, there is a Visitors
Gallery where travellers can see the scale of
the generators and hydro-electric operation.