Studies Centre, Woodbridge
Pleasant coastal town on the D'Entrecasteaux
Woodbridge nestles into the coast on the
D'Entrecasteaux Channel opposite Bruny Island -
a settlement gazing across the narrow channel at
the island's low lying hills. It is hard to
imagine that they were once violent outposts
where the local Aborigines were persecuted and
maltreated by sealers and whalers.
The area was first explored by Bruni
D'Entrecasteaux in 1792 and was settled in the
early 1800s by timber cutters, whalers and
sealers. Life was hard and the people who lived
in the area rarely settled for long preferring
the life in Hobart Town to the whaling stations
and logging camps.
It was at Oyster Cove that the last Tasmanian
Aboriginal settlement was established in 1847.
Aborigines from all over Van Diemen's Land had
been rounded up some years earlier and isolated
on Flinders Island. In 1847 the remnants, now
only 44 people, were taken to a reserve at
Oyster Cove. By 1855 there were only 16 people
left and by 1869 only Truganini remained. She
died in 1876 but it was not until 1976 that her
ashes were thrown to the winds on the
Today the area is noted for its orchards of
apples, cherries and pears.
Things to see:
Marine Studies Centre
The Commonwealth Government has established a
Marine Studies Centre at Woodbridge (it is down
on the water near the town jetty) which is
specifically designed to cater for school
children interested in marine biology .
Travellers wanting a short cut across to the
Huon Valley can take the C627 and C626 through
the mountains behind Woodbridge and Kettering.
The C627 passes through the Woodbridge Hill
area, a 400 ha park characterised by rainforest
vegetation and the presence of the rare Bell
Everlasting. Woodbridge Hill, which rises 580 m
above sea level, is part of the mountain range
which runs between the D'Entrecasteaux Channel
and the Huon River.