Small, historic goldmining town
Carisbrook is a very pleasant little town of
several hundred people located 159 km north-west
of Melbourne between Castlemaine and Maryborough
(7 km to the west). A former goldmining town it
possesses some fine old bluestone buildings.
Carisbrook derives from an early pastoral run
which was named in honour of the squatter's
daughter Caroline. The Simson brothers, who
later took up runs in the area, made a great
deal of money in the 1850s by collecting tolls
from diggers travelling between Castlemaine and
Maryborough. The township also arose on the
backs of this through-traffic which was in need
of facilities and supplies.
In 1854 the population was around 100. It
became a borough in 1857. A goldrush attracted
some 15 000 diggers to Majorca, just south of
Carisbrook, in 1863.
Writer and teacher of the blind, Matilda Ann
Astor was born at Carisbrook in 1873. She lost
her sight at the age of six but went on to
Melbourne University before becoming principal
of the school at which she studied.
Things to see:
Maryborough Visitor Centre, tel: (03) 5460 4511.
The town's old vernacular log lock-up is located
in Bucknall St. It is thought to have been built
around 1852 on the police paddock and moved to
its present site in 1886. The walls are made of
interlocking horizontally-laid logs. The shingle
roof has been replaced with corrugated iron.
outbuilding - part of Junction Lodge
'Junction Lodge' is a complex of homestead
buildings made of bluestone around 1873. Apart
from the two-storey house there are stables, a
barn, a blacksmith's, a kitchen and the
employees' quarters. The complex is in Camp St.
Nearby are the ruins of a wall from Chalk's No.1
Carisbrook Archaeological Site
5 km south-east of town, on the banks of
Tullaroop Creek, is a well-preserved Aboriginal
stone arrangement measuring 60 metres by 5
metres. It is one of only four stone
arrangements in the state and the only one of a
boomerang design. There are also a number of
stone circles and a cairn.