Halls Gap (including Grampians National
Park and Mafeking)
Attractive town at the heart of one of
Victoria's major tourist areas.
Halls Gap is located on the floor of the
picturesque Fyans Valley, 250 metres above
sea-level. By road it is 251 km north-west of
Melbourne via Ararat. It is essentially a
tourist village at the eastern edge of Grampians
National Park - one of the state's most
outstanding natural features and a major
destination for holidaymakers and bushwalkers.
The main approaches are from the south (from
Dunkeld on the Glenelg Highway), from the
south-east (i.e., Ararat), from the east (via
Stawell) and from the north (access is along a
clearly signposted road which heads west off the
Western Highway south of Horsham).
Aborigines have been living on the land
hereabouts for at least 5000 years. The first
Europeans to traverse the area were the
exploratory party of Thomas Mitchell. They
camped atop the highest peak in 1836 and
Mitchell named it Mt William after William IV,
then King of England. He named the range after
the Grampians in his native Scotland.
Edward Eyre and Robert Briggs followed in
Mitchell's footsteps in the late 1830s but the
first settler was Charles Browning Hall who set
out in search of a suitable grazing run when he
found the cattle market at Port Phillip Bay
overstocked in 1841. He followed Mitchell's
route northwards, establishing a station just
east of the Grampians in a spot known as 'Mokepilli'
to the indigenous inhabitants (probably the
Tjapwurong tribe) with whom he shared cordial
relations. They acted as his stockmen and showed
him their bush skills.
By following Aboriginal tracks he came upon
the gap which now bears his name and there met
members of either the Jardwa or Buandik tribe.
Both occupied the Grampians (which they knew as
'Cowa'), using the rock shelters for sacred
ceremonies and as a canvas for paintings and
Hall also explored Roses Gap which is named
after Philip Rose who took over the run in 1842.
The Halls Gap area was later used by cattle
duffers until being converted into a sheep run.
People began to frequent the area more
regularly in the 1860s with the discovery of
gold at Stawell, the commencement of saw-milling
and the opening of the Heatherlie Quarry. A
timber and bark hut known as Delley's Inn was
established in 1870.
In the 1870s the growing population at
Stawell led to the demand for a reliable water
supply. John D'Alton devised a system to bring
water from the Grampians via a tunnel hewn
through the Mt Williams range. The project
(completed in 1881) bought workers into the area
and a small township developed at Borough Huts.
Halls Gap's first store was built nearby in
1876. Holiday homes and a mill were also built,
along with the workers' cottages and a school
operated in the 1890s.
A tramline to Stawell was established in
1881-82 to aid shipment of the Grampians
sandstone which was used in Stawell for the
courthouse and St Patrick's Church and, in
Melbourne, for the new Government House, the
Melbourne Town Hall, the law courts, the public
library, the museum and a number of banks and
churches. The opening of the tramline also
enabled the transportation of timber and of
passengers who began to frequent the Grampians
for recreational purposes. In 1890 the growing
tourist trade was recognised and encouraged when
the first facilities were provided for a
recreational camping reserve. The Grampians were
declared a reserved forest in 1907.
In 1887 alluvial gold was found in Stony
Creek. Despite the appearance of 300
prospectors, little gold was uncovered. Somewhat
more substantial was the Mafeking goldrush which
took place at Mt William between 1900 and 1912.
At the foot of the mountain, businesses, hotels
and tents quickly appeared although returns
proved disappointing. Today there is a memorial
stone, a picnic area and some abandoned
In 1923 naturalist and beekeeper Walter
Zumstein opened a tourist park. That same year,
Mt Victory Rd from Halls Gap to Zumstein's was
opened and the road south to Dunkeld was
School lessons commenced in 1921 at Halls Gap
Public Hall (built in 1899) and a school
building was erected in 1928. In the ensuing
years tourism has gradually increased,
particularly with the development of the
highways. Today Halls Gap consists largely of
accommodation possibilities, a pub, restaurants,
cafes, a supermarket and a number of stores.
There are caravan parks at Halls Gap, Wartook
and Dunkeld. Jazz is regularly played at the
Mountain Grand Guest House on the Main Rd.
The annual Halls Gap Festival of Flowers and
Art is held at the Halls Gap Community Hall in
October. It features native plants of the
Grampians for sale, guided wildflower, history
and birdwatching walks and talks, wildflower
field guides and Victorian bird-call audio
tapes. The Grampians Jazz Festival is held in
February and the Grampians Gourmet Weekend in
Things to see:
Grampians National Park
Grampians National Park is one of the state's
most popular tourist attractions. Straddling a
rugged sandstone mountain ridge this 167
000-hectare park is noted for its Aboriginal art
sites (it contains the majority of Aboriginal
rock art sites in south-east Australia) and the
great variety of its plant and animal life,
including 200 bird species, koalas, kangaroos,
possums, gliders and echidnas. It contains a
third of Victoria's native plant species,
including an array of colourful wildflowers for
which the park is renowned.
The Grampians consist of four mountain
ranges. Halls Gap is located between the
southern tip of the Mt Difficult Range and the
northern tip of the Mt William Range. These two
form the eastern border of the park. The Serra
Range runs adjacent the Mt William Range, on its
western side, and the Victoria Range is in the
south-west of the park.
Aborigines have been living on the land
hereabouts for at least 5000 years. The first
European to discover the area was Thomas
Mitchell in 1836. Since that time it has been
home to grazing properties, goldmining,
quarrying, timber production, water resource
usage and tourism.
The Grampians were only declared a national
park in 1984. In 1991 the park was briefly known
by the Aboriginal place-name 'Gariwerd' but was
changed back when the right-wing Kennett
government came to power.
The best time to visit the park is in spring
when the wildflowers bloom and the waterfalls
flow. Most of the park is accessible by car
(unless it has been raining). There are numerous
scenic drives and over 90 walking tracks. Other
popular activities are picnicking, camping,
rockclimbing, fishing (in the reservoirs),
cycling, horseriding, photography and nature
There are many campgrounds in the park - all
accessible by car and all with fireplaces,
picnic tables and toilets (not all have water).
Camping fees apply. Bush camping is permitted in
some areas and under certain conditions.
The 'Wonderland' area is the most popular
section of the park. It is contained within a
circular ring of roads, incorporating Halls Gap
and the Grampians National Park Visitor Centre.
Grampians National Park Visitor Centre
The Grampians National Park Visitor Centre is
located 2.5 km south of Halls Gap shopping
centre on the Grampians Rd. It is an excellent
centre receiving 275 000 visitors a year and a
must for anyone intending to explore the park.
There is an audio-visual display, written
information relating to the park and its
features, and rangers on hand for advice on
activities and camping.
It is essential to note that, if you are
intending to go on a walk (and that is the main
activity in the area) you should consult the
staff at the centre first as there are over 90
walks in the park of greatly varying lengths and
levels of difficulty. Some routes are clearly
marked, some are not. Moreover, they are in a
constant state of flux due to upgrading, track
closures, alterations and openings. Thus the
walks outlined in the remainder of this entry
should be taken as quick overviews rather than
authoritative accounts. If you inform the staff
of your time and capacity they will be able to
present you with the best options.
Three major publications are 'Touring Guide,
Grampians National Park' (a guide to the park's
walks, drives and other recreation activities,
its natural features and its historic sites),
the 'Wonderland Walking Guide', the 'Northern
Grampians Walking Guide', the 'Southern
Grampians Walking Guide' (available from the end
of November), and a detailed map. There are also
books on the wildflowers, birds and history of
the park. An education program is run for
schools and there are visitor activity programs
in the school holidays. Facilities for the
disabled are available throughout the park. The
centre is open from 9.00 a.m. to 4.45 p.m. every
day except Christmas Day, tel: (03) 5356 4381.
Brambuk Aboriginal Cultural Centre and Two
Adjoining the visitors' centre is a building of
an unusual and very intersecting design which
houses Brambuk Aboriginal Cultural Centre where
there are displays of art, clothing, tools and
weapons relating to the history and culture of
the Aborigines of south-western Victoria. There
are guided cultural activities such as tours to
the park's many Aboriginal sites,
demonstrations, displays, education and holiday
programs, dance performances, a 24-hour cultural
camp and a theatre which screens an excellent
video (for a small fee). It is open every day
from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. and admission is
free, tel: (03) 5356 4452.
A short and easy-going 1-km walking track
starts from the path between the Brambuk Centre
and Visitors' Centre. It leads by a wetland and
along the Fyans Valley to the Tandara Rd
carpark. Kangaroos, koalas and birds can be seen
along the way.
A 6.6-km return walk, involving a steady
climb, begins at the Tandara Rd carpark and
leads up to Boronia Peak from whence there are
Halls Gap Walking Tracks
The National Park information point opposite the
Halls Gap shops is the starting point for three
walks. The easy-going Venus Baths Loop Walk (2.3
km) follows the track adjacent the swimming pool
and along Stony Creek to the natural waterhole
known as Venus Baths. Return via the opposite
bank through the botanic gardens and back to the
The Bullaces Glen Loop Walk (1.7 km) entails
some steeper sections. Start from the same point
but cross over the first footbridge to the
botanic gardens, then follow the signs up and
over Mt Victory Rd to the seasonal waterfall and
lush fern gully at Bullaces Glen. Cross the
creek and follow the signs back to the shops.
The shops are also the starting point for the
far more gruelling 12.4-km return walk to Boroka
Lookout. The medium-grade 9.6-km Wonderland Loop
Track, which takes in Splitters Falls, the
Wonderland Carpark and the Pinnacle, begins at
the Halls Gap tennis courts.
Chatauqua Peak Loop
Just north of Halls Gap, Mt Victory Rd heads off
to the left. 150 m from the start of the road is
the Recreation Oval carpark. A 1.2-km walking
track leads through open grassy forest to the
foot of Clematis Falls. You can either return
the way you came or, if you wish to investigate
the Chatauqua Peak Loop track (5.6 km), just
backtrack for 100 m and then turn right,
following the signposts and orange markers to
the summit of Chatauqua Peak. The rest of the
loop track takes in Bullaces Glen and the
Wonderland Carpark Walks
If you follow Mt Victory Rd past the Elephants
Hide then, 2 km beyond the Recreation Oval,
there is a side road on the left that leads to
the Wonderland Carpark from whence there is a
1.6-km return track to the picturesque Splitters
Falls, a 2.2-km return track to Turret Falls, a
900-m loop track which takes in the Grand Canyon
gorge and the 4.2-km return track past Silent
Street to the Pinnacle Lookout (686 m). The
latter walk can be lengthened into a 6.7-km loop
track which takes in Turret Falls.
2.8 km past the turnoff to the Wonderland
Carpark, Mt Victory Rd veers to the right (see
section on Central Grampians). If you stick to
the left and proceed along Silverband Rd for 2.5
km there is a turnoff on the left into Sundial
Rd which leads, after 1.3 km, to the Sundial
Picnic Area and carpark. The Sundial Peak Loop
(6.4 km) leads to Sundial Peak (from whence
there are excellent views of Lake Bellfield, Mt
Rosea and the Mt William range) and the shady
Delleys Dell picnic area. A shorter option is
the Lakeview Loop (1.8 km) which leads through
open forest and spring wildflowers to a lookout
over lake and mountains. The signposted track
from the carpark to the Pinnacle is the easiest
approach to that outstanding viewpoint (4.2 km
If you return along Sundial Rd and turn left
into Silverband Rd, 700 m will bring you to
Rosea Camping Ground, situated in a forested
area at the foot of Mt Rosea. The 11-km Mt Rosea
Loop Track leads up the 'Grand Stairway' and
past Eagle Rock to the peak of Mt Rosea from
whence there are spectacular views.
About 3.5 km further along Silverband Rd from
Rosea Campground is the Silverband Carpark. An
easy well-constructed 1.4-km return track
through beautiful bushland leads to the foot of
the small perennial waterfall.
Lake Bellfield, Grampians National Park
After another kilometre Silverband Rd ends at a
T-intersection with Grampians Rd. Opposite is a
picnic and swimming area at the western edge of
Lake Bellfield which is a popular spot to dangle
a line for redfin and trout. A guesthouse was
built here at the end of the 19th century but
the valley was flooded in the 1960s to create
the reservoir. Petrol-driven motor boats are not
permitted although electric-powered boats and
rowing are okay.
If you turn left, back towards Halls Gap,
Lake Bellfield will be to the right. 2.3 km
north of the intersection is the north-western
corner of the lake where there is a caravan
park, a picnic area and Observation Point. It is
another 2 km to the National Park Visitors'
Centre and 4.5 km to the Halls Gap shops.
To access the Central Grampians, follow Mt
Victory Rd out of Halls Gap. After about 9 km
there is a left-hand turn onto the Glenelg River
Rd (unsealed) which soon leads by the large
Boreang Campground. From the roadside there is a
short and easy 600-m return walk to Paddy's
Castle, a rock formation beside the river which
can be climbed by all the family.
Return to the Mt Victory Rd and turn left.
After 1 km the Mt Difficult Rd heads off to the
right. 5 km will bring you to a carpark from
whence it is a short walk to the outstanding
Boroka Lookout which offers views of Halls Gap
and the Fyans Valley, across the mountains to
Lake Fyans and Lake Lonsdale.
Return to the Mt Victory Rd and turn right.
After 2 km there is a left turn which leads to
the Reed Lookout carpark. It is but a short walk
to some excellent views of the Victoria Valley
and northwards over Lake Wartook. The carpark is
also the starting point for a 2-km return walk
to the interesting geographic formation known as
the Balconies (aka The Jaws of Death) for
reasons that are visually self-evident.
Return to Mt Victory Rd and turn left. After
5.5 km turn right. At the next intersection a
right will take you to Lake Wartook, where there
is fishing and a picnic area, and a left leads
to the MacKenzie Falls carpark, kiosk,
information board and picnic area. Two tracks
provide views of MacKenzie Falls. One of the
state's most spectacular waterfalls, it flows
strongest in winter.
Return to Mt Victory Rd and turn right. A few
kilometres will bring you to Zumstein Picnic
Area, originally a tourist park established by
Walter Zumstein in 1923. There are usually large
numbers of friendly kangaroos about but be sure
not to feed or pat them. Less common are red
deer. There are also numerous birds, native
flowers, ferns, picnic-barbecue facilities,
toilets and water.
Mt Victory Rd continues on to Wartook, an
attractive farming district which offers fine
views of the nearby ranges. The area is noted
for its wildflowers. The Wartook Pottery, Gifts
and Tea Rooms (closed Mondays) are located 8 km
north of Zumstein, tel: (03) 5383 6377. There is
a picnic and barbecue area.
Roses Gap Road
Roses Gap Rd runs essentially east-west through
the northern section of Grampians National Park
from Wartook to the Western Highway just south
of Dadswells Bridge. It contains the Roses Gap
Recreation Centre (a holiday resort with
accommodation, a fauna park, general store and
day activities), other accommodation sites,
Troopers Creek Campground (located in a forested
valley) and walking tracks which are outlined in
notation available from the Grampians National
Park Visitor Centre.
The Beehive Falls track (2.8 km return)
starts from a carpark on the roadside just west
of the Mt Zero Rd intersection. Mostly easy, but
with some steep sections, it leads along a creek
to the base of the waterfall. There are some
fine wildflowers about in spring. It is possible
to continue on past the waterfall to Briggs
Bluff, an open plateau with fine views of the
Wimmera Plains. This would lengthen the walk to
8 km return and render it far more challenging.
The Wild Cherry Fine Art Gallery is located
in an old shearing shed at the corner of Roses
Gap Rd and Smiths Rd. It is open Thursday to
Sunday from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., on public
holidays or by appointment, tel: (03) 5383 6279.
To access road the park's northern section head
north on the road to Stawell for 1 km and then
turn left onto Mt Zero Rd (40 km) which
traverses the Mt Difficult Range (as it is
unsealed check road conditions before
The road leads past the Plantation Campground
(situated in an old pine forest) to Heatherlie
Quarry, 14 km north of Halls Gap. Visitors can
go on a signposted walk through relics of the
quarry and related township. A compressor engine
and some brick structures remain. There is an
information board and map with display plaques.
The quarry opened in the 1860s. A tramline
through to Stawell was built in 1881 to
facilitate shipment of the sandstone which was
used in Stawell for the courthouse and St
Patrick's Church and, in Melbourne, for the new
Government House, the Melbourne Town Hall, the
law courts, the public library, the museum and a
number of banks and churches. More than 100 men
were employed here at the quarry's peak in
1886-1887. The tramline also facilitated tourism
and the timber industry.
Continues north across Roses Gap Rd. 25 km
from Halls Gap is Golton Gorge Picnic Area which
is the starting point for a 2-km walk to the
Further north again is the small Hollow
Mountain Camping Area (due to be phased out)
which is the starting place for a 2.2-km return
walk to a cavernous wind-sculptured rock which
proffers fine views of the Stapylton Range.
From the roadside, 100 metres east of the
Hollow Mountain Campground, is the start of a
short signposted walk to the Gulgurn Manja
Aboriginal art site.
A little further along Mt Zero Rd is the Mt
Zero Picnic Area which is the starting point for
walks to the top of both Mt Stapylton and Mt
Zero. There are excellent views of the Wimmera
Plains from atop Mt Zero and a directional
plaque which points out features in the
surrounding countryside. The walk is only 2.8 km
return and there is usually plenty of fauna
about. Yellow arrows indicate the best route to
the summit. It's a relatively easy climb and
railings assist you on the steepest sections.
The Mt Stapylton walk (4.6 km return) starts
off in an easy-going fashion but soon becomes a
challenging ascent, although the spectacular
views render it worthwhile. The last section is
optional as it involves a somewhat precarious
and narrow walk of 40 metres along exposed
ledges at a considerable elevation in the face
of strong winds. Alternatively you can go on the
longer Stapylton Loop Walk (12.2 km).
From Mt Zero visitors can head south on the
Pohlner Rd to the Plantation Rd intersection
where they will find the large Stapylton
Campground. There is a 40-metre signposted walk
to the Ngamadjidj rock shelter which feature
Aboriginal art works.This is also another
starting point for the Stapylton Loop Walk.
Plantation Rd will take you back to the Mt
Victory Rd. Turn left here to return to Halls
The Grampians Tourist Road heads south from
Halls Gap to Dunkeld. Just south of Lake
Bellfield is the Borough Huts Campground which
is situated in an open area next to Fyans Creek.
A project (completed in 1881) to transfer water
from this creek to Stawell bought workers into
this area and the small township of Borough Huts
emerged. Halls Gap's first store was built
nearby in 1876. Holiday homes and a mill were
also constructed, along with the workers'
13 km from Halls Gap there is a turnoff on
the left which leads for another 10 km to a
carpark at the base of Mt William (aka Mt Duwil)
which, at 1187 m, is the highest point in the
Grampians. A steep 1.5-km walking track leads
from the carpark to the summit from whence the
views are exceptional. The best time for this
ascent is at sunrise or sunset.
Further south, about 30 km from Halls Gap, is
the Jimmy Creek picnic area and campground. 200
m north of the campground, on the Halls Gap
Road, is the start of the Stockyard Saddle Walk
(13.2-km return) which leads to the tip of the
Serra Range, passing through Teddy Bear's Gap. A
brochure outlining this, and other walks in the
Southern Grampians, is available from the
Grampians National Park Visitors' Centre at
Just beyond the Jimmy Creek Picnic Area, on the
other side of the road, the unsealed Jimmy Creek
Rd turns off to the left. It leads to Mafeking.
Some small sawmilling companies worked this area
for timber in the 19th century but the area is
of interest today because of a short-lived
goldrush which occurred in 1900. The landscape
was devastated by the goldminers who removed the
wattle, tea-tree and bracken fern in the search
for gold. The stringybark forests were lopped to
supply bark and timber for miner's huts, mining
stays and fuel. Some old trees remain, along
with fern gullies and regenerating forest.
There is an attractive picnic area, a
campground and an information board but this
area is definitely unsuitable for children as
there are a number of dangerous mineshafts.
Brownings Walk (one hour return) takes in
some remaining historic features. A pamphlet is
available from the Grampians National Park
Visitors' Centre at Halls Gap. It identifies
various features of the walk, including an
old-growth stringybark, a regenerated gully, the
site of the first claim, tail races, old shafts,
a dam embankment used for water storage and
open-cut minesites which were worked by means of
hydraulic sluicing. A jet of water was directed
onto the face of a cutting to dislodge material.
The earth was then shovelled into a contraption
known as a 'Tom' which consisted of two boxes
laid atop one another. Water was directed into
the upper box where a grate trapped the coarser
gravels, stones and rocks while the finer
particles of gravel, sand and gold fell through
to the second box. There a series of bars or
ripples at the bottom of the box helped trap
fine gold particles while the water and lighter
material ran off as overflow.
South of this point there are a number of
attractions associated with the Grampians
Tourist Road and Victoria Valley Road (which
branches off the Grampians Tourist Road).
Victoria Valley Nature Drive and Sites
About 10 km south of the Jimmy Creek picnic area
there is a right-hand turn into Victoria Valley
Road. If you take this route and keep to the
left it will take you through the Victoria
Valley, which has been declared a wildlife
sanctuary, down to
Dunkeld. There are fine views and extensive
redgum woodlands with wildflowers, shady picnic
areas and plenty of emus and kangaroos.
Freshwater Lake Reserve lies along this road, 8
km from Dunkeld. It has good barbecues and
birdlife. On the other side of the road is the
Grampians Golf Course. If you don't wish to play
it is still very pleasant to stroll along the
edge of the fairways as there are wallabies,
kangaroos, emus and echidnae about.
The Victoria Valley Nature Drive is outlined
in material available at the Grampians National
Park Visitor Centre, tel: (03) 5356 4381.
if, instead of pursuing the Victoria Valley
Road, you continue to follow the Grampians
Tourist Road south it will take you past the Mt
Abrupt carpark (22 km from the turnoff to
Victoria Valley Road), the turnoff to Mt
Piccaninny (a further 3.5 km along the Grampians
Tourist Road) and, at the intersection of the
Grampians Tourist Road and Victoria Valley Road,
a carpark associated with Mt Sturgeon. For
further information on these attractions see
entry on Dunkeld.
West - Victoria Range
This is the most remote part of the park. The
large and very attractive Buandik Campground is
located in a forested area on Billimina Creek.
It is most readily accessed from Glenisla,
situated on the Henty Highway at the western
edge of the park. The Glenisla station was
established in 1843 although Samuel Carter built
the homestead from 1873-1877. Today it is
available for bed-and-breakfast.
There are several Aboriginal art sites in the
area. One can be accessed from the Billamina
Track (40 minutes return) which is signposted
from the campground while the other is at the
end of the Manja Track (2.6 km return) which
begins from the roadside just beyond the
campground. If you ascend another 20 m after
reaching the art site there are excellent views
of theVictoria Range.
15 km south of Glenisla on the Henty Highway
is Woohlpooer. The Glenelg River Rd heads east
off the highway and into the park. About 12 km
from the highway there is a carpark on the
roadside. Nearby is a small campground (due to
be phased out) and the starting point for the
walk and climb to the top of the rock stack
known as the Chimney Pots. 5.6 km return it is
strenuous with some ill-defined sections (make
sure you have a map).
The small Strachans Campground is situated on
an old mill site, beside a creek, about 8 km
past the Chimney Pots on the Glenelg River Rd
which eventually ends at Mt Victory Rd 9 km west
of Halls Gap.
The Gap Winery
If you follow the road from Halls Gap to Stawell
you will shortly come to a turnoff on the right
onto the Pomonal Rd. The Gap Winery, established
in 1969, is about 5 km along this road. It
produces shiraz, shiraz/cabernet, sauvignon
blanc/semillon, chardonnay and riesling and it
is open from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. from
Wednesday to Sunday with extended hours in
holiday periods. Barbecue and picnic facilities
are available, tel: (03) 5356 4252.
Halls Gap Park and Zoo
Next to it is the Halls Gap Park and Zoo. It is
open, for a fee, every day but Tuesday from
10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.. There are kangaroos,
wallabies, wombats, emus, possums, dingos, deer,
waterfowl and other birds, donkeys, ponies and
other domestic farm animals, all in a bushland
setting with a childrens' play area, barbecues,
picnic facilities and a kiosk, tel: (03) 5356
Further south are Pomonal, from whence there
is another walking track into the park, and the
access road to the Bomjinna and Kalymna Falls
Campgrounds (see entry on Pomonal).
There are innumerable organisations in the town
and area which conduct various types of tours
(by foot, bicycle, canoe, mountain bike, 4WD,
hot-air balloon, aeroplane, camel, horse and
horse-drawn vehicle) into the Grampians and the
district generally. There are also abseiling and
fishing tours. For further information on any of
the above ring the Stawell Tourist Information
Centre on (03) 5358 2314 or free-call (1800) 246