Catholic Church, Jamieson
Jamieson (including Kevington, Gaffneys
Creek, A1 Settlement, Woods Point, Matlock and
Small and scenic rural village where the
Goulburn and Jamieson Rivers meet.
Jamieson is a small, scenic and sprawling rural
village of some 250 people at the confluence of
the Goulburn and Jamieson Rivers. It is situated
in a beautiful valley which is surrounded by
densely-covered mountainous terrain at the
south-eastern corner of Lake Eildon. The
township is 37 km south of Mansfield and 199 km
north-east of Melbourne via Eildon which is 62
Jamieson is transformed in holiday periods
when the crowds arrive to enjoy waterskiing,
power-boating, 4WD exploration and shooting in
Eildon National Park. It emerged in the 1860s as
a goldmining town when the entire area was
swarming with prospectors. Perhaps the most
intelligent were those who set up the two
breweries and the numerous hotels (there were
either 6,9 or 14 depending on which source you
believe). The town also benefited from the fact
that it was the supply centre to the eastern
goldfields, conveying goods by mule train.
Mining had ceased by the start of the First
World War although the tailings were reprocessed
to extract the last ounce of gold in recent
times. Panning is still carried out by the
eternally-hopefuls in the Goulburn River.
Things to see:
The nearest information centre is in Eildon, tel:
(03) 5774 2909. There is an information board at
the service station which outlines some of the
town's attractions. A day tour of Lake Eildon is
outlined in a pamphlet available from the Eildon
Visitor Information Centre.
Jamieson is a very popular destination for
anglers. Fishing, camping and gold panning can
be enjoyed along the Goulburn and Jamieson
A half-dozen scenic walks are outlined in a
brochure available from the town's motels, the
caravan park and other outlets. It can also be
obtained from the visitors' centre at the old
railway station in Mansfield, tel: (03) 5775
1464. They investigate both sides of the river,
the Cemetery, 'The Island' and the scenic views
available from School Hill and Laidlaws Rd.
Another brochure (available from the same
outlets) outlines a walk which indicates the
town's old buildings and their historic
associations. Start at the corner of Bank St and
Chenery St. Just north of this intersection,
along Bank St, is Ridge's Cottage (c.1864), on
the right-hand side of the road.
Head south along Bank St. On the left-hand
side are the former Diggers Exchange Hotel (late
1870s), Matthew's Cottage (c.1900) and, by the
Perkins St intersection, the Duck Inn which was
built in 1867 as the Colonial Bank.
Cross Perkins St. To the right is Townsend's
Cottage (c.1860s), once a butchery and baker's.
To the left, at the Cobham St intersection, is
Hoskin's Cottage (late 1860s).
Turn left into Cobham St, At the end of the
road, to the right, is Juddy's Hut (a typical
early miner's cottage).
Return along Cobham St, taking the first
right into Brown St. To the left are the old
police stables (1862) on the site of the
original police camp. The Canadian Redwoods were
planted in the 1860s.
Cross over Perkins St. To the right is
McQuilton's Cottage, built in the early 1890s at
Ten Mile, on the road south to Woods Point. It
was transported after it survived the 1939
bushfires which destroyed the rest of the town.
Turn left into Chenery St. On the other side
of Nash St is the primary school, built in 1878
(the original school was built in 1867). To the
rear, adjacent Laidlaws Rd, is the teacher's
residence (1891). Laidlaws Rd will take you up
the Jamieson Valley. A track which branches off
behind the school residence will take you up
School Hill. It is very steep but the views are
Alternatively, walk south along Nash St. To
the left are Mountford's Cottage (c.1890) and St
John's Catholic Church (c.1900) which replaced a
timber chapel built in 1863.
Cross Perkins St. To the left is the old
courthouse, built of hand-made bricks in 1864.
It now houses local archives and material
pertaining to local history and is open on
weekends and public holidays between November
and Easter from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., or by
appointment, tel: (03) 5777 0592.
Head west along Perkins St to the Grey St
corner. To the left is the old post office
(1872). To the right is the memorial hall, built
as the town hall in 1883.
Turn right into Grey St. On the right-hand
side of the road is 'Wywurri' (c.1860s). With
its canvas walls and dirt floor it is considered
a typical early building. It was once the
grainstore for a local hotel. The mud-brick
extension is of later vintage. Just past it is
St Peter's Anglican Church. Built of local
bricks in 1865, it is surrounded by oaks planted
last century. The porch and vestry were added
The Big Pool is a popular swimming hole and
picnic area with coin-operated barbecues and a
childrens' playground on the riverbank at the
southern end of Grey St. The Little Pool is a
shallow swimming hole for young children located
near Brewery Bridge, at the eastern end of town
(named after the brewery which operated nearby
from 1864-1901). If you follow the riverbank
southwards there is another swimming spot known
as The Brewery Hole.
Cross over Foots Bridge, on the western side of
town. On the far side, to the right, is a little
tree-covered peninsula known as 'The Island'
which juts out into the junction of the Goulburn
and Jamieson Rivers. The apple trees are
remnant's of an orchard established by the
town's first doctor who owned the land at one
time. This is a good area for picnicking,
fishing and walking.
Cemetery and Licola Road
Cross over Brewery Bridge and take the first
road to the left. To the immediate left is Dr
Pomeroy's Cottage built in the earliest days of
settlement. Tobacco was grown on the river flats
here for many years. Continue along the road and
take the first right into the Licola Rd. There
is an historic cemetery on the right after 1 km.
The road to
Licola (91 km south-east) is unsealed,
steep, of varying quality, winding and subject
to closure in the winter. However, it is also
highly scenic. 8 or 10 km out there is a
picnicking and bushcamping area (with toilets)
by the Jamieson River at Grannys Flat Reserve.
Mt Skene, 48 km from Jamieson, has colourful
wildflowers in summer.
The road which winds around the southern
boundary of Eildon Lake National Park from
Jamieson to Eildon is serpentine, steep,
unsealed in sections, but highly scenic, passing
through substantial forests and up hills which
offer spectacular views of Big River State
Forest to the south and Lake Eildon to the
north. 4WD tracks head off this road, into the
park, past various camping areas and through to
the lake (see entry on
Eildon) for further information on the
Scenic Drive to Walhalla - 1 (Jamieson to
The road south to
Walhalla (132 km) is mostly unsealed, hilly,
rough in places, winding and subject to winter
closure but it is an interesting and highly
scenic drive which initially follows the
Goulburn River, passing through forests, old
goldmining villages and some excellent camping
and picnicking spots. In the 19th century,
people travelled along this route via narrow,
twisting tracks with women in panniers and
children in gin cases strapped to pack saddles.
The main road is manageable in a conventional
vehicle unless it is very wet but, if you have a
4WD, you can investigate the side roads which
lead through some of the state's finest
Hotel dates from the goldrush era
About 4 km from Jamieson is Doctors Creek
Reserve and at 7 km Skipworth Reserve (both
bushcamping areas). 11 km from Jamieson is the
small rural settlement of Kevington, known in
the 1860s as Mac's Creek. The Kevington Hotel
(1862) is the only hotel in the district which
dates from the gold days, tel: (03) 5777 0543.
There is a camping area adjacent.
Scenic Drive to Walhalla - 2 (Kevington to
It is about 8 km from Kevington to Tunnel Bend
Reserve where there is a campground with picnic
facilities and a swimming hole. The tunnel was
created to alter the course of the river so the
old riverbed could be gleaned for gold. The
goldmining settlement of Ten Mile was located
nearby. It started in 1864 as a log-and-canvas
store on the road to the Woods Point goldfields
and, by the 1880s, was a small but
well-established settlement but was destroyed in
the 1939 bushfires.
Just past Tunnel Bend are, in order, Twelve
Mile Reserve (bushcamping), Blue Hole Picnic
Area, Snakes Reserve (bushcamping) and Knockwood
Reserve (bushcamping). Knockwood and Ten Mile
are also extinct goldmining settlements with a
few historic relics. At this point the road
bends to the south-west following Gaffneys
Creek, an anabranch of the Goulburn River.
Scenic Drive to Walhalla - 3 (Gaffneys
Creek and the A1 Mining Settlement)
37 km from Jamieson is the ghost town of
Gaffneys Creek where the first goldstrike on the
Jamieson-Walhalla goldfields was made by a man
named Gaffney in 1860. It retains some tiny old
miners' cottages, a tavern and old mining ruins
such as the remnants of an old stamper battery,
dry-stone walling, stone chimneys, terraced
sites and other abandoned equipment.
4 km further on is the historic A1 Mining
Settlement which clings perilously to the road
in the narrow Raspberry Creek Valley. The A1
Mine (worked to a depth of 700 m) started
operations in 1881 and was worked almost
continuously until 1992.
It is about 9 km to Scotts Reserve (bushcamping).
Scenic Drive to Walhalla - 4 (Woods Point)
55 km from Jamieson, where the Goulburn River
swings back in from the east, the road passes
through a valley where you will find Woods Point
which was, for many years, the main settlement
of the Upper Goulburn River Valley.
Gold was first discovered here in 1861. The
town began to develop shortly thereafter around
a store set up by a man named Wood. By 1865,
when Wood's Point was declared a borough, there
were 2000 people living in three suburbs and
working in 50 large mines and hundreds of small
claims. There were 30 hotels, dozens of grog
shanties, a brewery, police station, lock-up,
hospital, six banks, a post office, churches,
private schools, a newspaper, two factories,
numerous stores and business premises and even a
town crier. Inevitably the gold began to run out
and the town declined. The last remaining mine
had virtually ceased operations by 1927.
Much of the village was burned down in the
1939 bushfires (as recorded on a memorial beside
Morning Star Creek). Today there are about 30
residents, a fine country pub (rebuilt after the
fires), an antique petrol station, a general
store, picnicking-camping areas and the Woods
Point Museum which contains items pertaining to
the town's history as a goldmining settlement
(open in holiday periods pending staff).
Bushwalking tracks, taking in local goldmining
relics, are currently being constructed and
guiding pamphlets printed, and the Little Comet
Mine is also being reopened for tourist
inspection (enquire about both at the general
store). The 200-km McMillans Track can also be
started (or completed) here. 2 km from town,
beside the Goulburn River, is Comet Flat Reserve
where there is bushcamping (4WD access).
Scenic Drive to Walhalla - 5 (Matlock and
8 km further south, on a barren ridge top, 1370
m above sea-level, is Matlock, another old
goldmining village which had numerous stores and
hotels in its goldmining heyday (the 1860s). It
later prospered as a timbergetting community but
was also destroyed in the bushfires. It is now
little more than a locality. There are some
outstanding views from the roadside, toilets, a
picnic area and a snow shelter for winter.
A road heads west from here. It follows the
border of Yarra Ranges National Park to
Cumberland Junction (55 km) where other roads
extend west to Marysville and south to
Warburton. Just before this intersection, Dry
Creek Rd (4WD only) heads off to the right. It
eventually joins up with the Eildon-Jamieson Rd.
Scenic Drive to Walhalla - 6 (Matlock to
Erica and Walhalla)
Alternatively, you can head south-east from
Matlock to Aberfeldy (30 km). 2 km further south
is the grave of Kitty Feldy who operated a
shanty here after retiring from a career as a
dancer. Upon her death she weighed 158 kg. Plans
to bury her at Aberfeldy were abandoned as the
pall-bearers could not manage.
18 km south of Aberfeldy the choice is to
head south-west to Erica (21 km on a sealed
road) or south-east through Beadmore to Walhalla
For further information on the area between
Jamieson and Woods Point ring (03) 5733 0120.
From Woods Point to Walhalla ring (03) 5172