Museum (former Bank of Victoria)
Rural service town on Broken Creek in the
Numurkah is a town of some 3500 people which is
situated on Broken Creek in a rural irrigation
district focused principally on dairying,
although fruit production, mixed farming and
grazing are also practiced. It is located on the
Goulburn Valley Highway, 211 km north of
Melbourne between Shepparton and Cobram at an
elevation of 108 m above sea-level.
The area was occupied by the Yota-Yota people
prior to European settlement. Squatters moved
into the area from NSW in the late 1830s.
Selectors followed at the end of the 1860s and a
township was surveyed in 1876. Land sales
proceeded in 1878 and the railway arrived from
Shepparton in 1881. That same year the Chaffey
Brothers (see entry on Mildura) were asked to
look into the area's prospects for irrigation
development but they considered it unsuitable.
The area did not really proceed until
Numurkah became the headquarters of the Murray
Valley Soldier Settlement Area - one of the
largest soldier settlements in Australia - after
World War I. Under this scheme 700 ex-servicemen
were given land to develop for agriculture.
The Rotary Art Show is held in March, the
Agricultural Show in October and the Australian
Go-Kart Titles in September (at the Go-Kart Club
- 4 km east along Katamatite Rd).
Things to see:
engine display in Melville Street
Tourist Information is available from the Cobram
Visitors Centre, tel: (03) 5872 2132.
The Historical Society Museum is located in a
former bank building at the corner of Melville
St and Knox St and it is open on Sundays from
2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. or by appointment, tel:
(03) 5862 2230.
Beside Broken Creek, adjacent Melville Rd, are
the Numurkah Rose Gardens and Louis Hamon
Gardens, a major focal point of the town's
There is an open-air steam and vintage machinery
display nearby, in Melville St.
The town's old brick court house (1888-89) is
also located in Melville St. It has an highly
ornamental facade and is flanked by smaller
wings with timber and cast-iron verandahs. Court
House Crafts now operate from the premises,
selling hand-crafted items from local
craftspeople. It is open from Wednesday to
Saturday with extended hours in summer, tel:
(03) 5862 2249.
A collection of 2000 dolls is located at Marie's
House of Dolls at 1 Neiklejohn St, tel: (03)
Melville Street Market
A vast range of antiques, collectables and wares
are available at the Melville St Market in Knox
St, tel: (03) 5862 1622.
Glenarron Holiday Farm offers comfortable
accommodation on a working dairy farm. Head
north-east out of Numurkah along Melville St
which becomes Tocumwal Rd after the roundabout.
Just north of town Hutchin's Lane heads off to
the right, tel: (03) 5864 6246.
8 km north of town via the aforementioned
Tocumwal Rd (just south of Katunga), a signpost
directs you off to the right into Berrys Rd
where you will find Monichino Wines which was
established in 1962. They produce chardonnay,
sauvignon blanc, orange muscat, cabernet
sauvignon, shiraz, merlot, port and muscat. The
cellar door is open daily from 10.00 a.m. to
5.00 p.m. There are picnic and barbecue
facilities, tel: (03) 5864 6452.
At Wunghnu, 5 km south along the highway, is the
Institute Tavern located in the former mechanics
institute (1890), tel: (03) 5862 2965.